Rural dating north yorkshire
More luxurious items such as tea, sugar, and dried fruit were occasionally supplied on a separate account for the workhouse "Dame".
At the rear of the workhouse was prison where miscreants were locked up until the constables could escort them to the New Inn at Bradford to be dealt with by a magistrate.
Supplies for the workhouse were mostly obtained from the Moravian shop at Fulneck.
The shop's records include the sale of sewing materials, harding (a coarse linen used to make men's shirts and women's shifts), and wolsey (a softer fabric with a flax warp and wool weft, used for petticoats and shawls).
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] A parliamentary report of 1777 recorded local workhouses in operation at North Bierley and Bowling (for up to 70 inmates), Allerton (30), Calverley with Farsley (40), Clayton (20), Heaton (8), Idle (60), Pudsey (60), and Thornton (30).
Pudsey's provision for housing the poor dates back to at least 1639 when the churchwardens and overseers were ordered to provide "howseroome and harbour" for Stephen Braithwaite and his wife (Strong, 1982).
The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1845-7 had been £4,602 or 3s.1d. Following a meeting of the Board of Guardians there in 1848, it was reported that: The occupants are chiefly old and helpless men and women, some worn out with infirmity and age, but far the greater portion helpless by reason of mental imbecility. In one small dark room, the benches, with high backs, forming a circle in front of the fire, contained a number of octogenarians, and a few somewhat their juniors. The day room of the females presented a melancholy sight.
Other goods included lettuce seed, bedcord (for stretching across wooden bed frames), and a "bakestone" (on which to bake oatcakes).In 1948, it became part of the National Health Service and was renamed Thornton View. The hospital closed in 1984 and in 1991, the site was sold for use as a private Muslim girls' school. From the early 1900s, the North Bierley Union set up a number of children's scattered homes. At a meeting of Pudsey's "Town's Committee" on 1st February 1802, it was resolved to "discontinue the poorhouse, the occupants to be disposed of as soon as possible," and at the next meeting, two weeks later, an agreement was made with John Cooper of Littlemoor, "to board the paupers residing in the poorhouse for one year, to commence on the first day of March, 1802, and likewise to find fire for them at the rate of three shillings per week per head, to have their earnings for his own benefit — the poor to have two meat dinners per week, and likewise to be under the inspection of the Committee to see they be well kept." (Rayner, 1887).In 1830, Martin George Crowther was the workhouse Master. The workhouse for Calverley-cum-Farsley was built in 1756 on Calverley's Back Lane, now Blackett Street, at the expense of Sir Walter Blackett (formerly Sir Walter Calverley — he changed his surname as a condition of a inheritance from his uncle). There was a workhouse in Clayton in two cottages on Ramsden Place, off Town End Road.
Following complaints by the local Moravian community, it was decided to erect a new workhouse on common land at Littlemoor, at the north side of what is now Valley Road.