This is hull and east riding dating Meetgirlsandfuck
An 1844 account in the Hull Advertiser described it as follows: Not many passengers along the Beverley-road would imagine that the beautiful and immense structure which is in course of erection, on ground just beyond the town, is intended for the reception of paupers.
Its front aspect would not disgrace the residence of a nobleman; it is in a plain Gothic style, and of an extent far greater than that of any other edifice in or near Hull.
Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 27 in number, representing its 18 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): East Riding: Anlaby, Cottingham (2), Drypool (2), Kirk Ella, West Ella, North Ferriby, Hedon (2), Hessle, Marfleet, Melton, Preston, Sculcoates (4), Southcoates (2), Sutton and Stoneferry (2), Swanland, Waulby [Wauldby], Welton, Willerby (2).
The Sutton workhouse, dating from 1757, was on Church Street.Now the authentic charm has been retained fully whilst at the same time incorporating present day requirements in the form of comfortable en-suite guest bedrooms, the resident's restaurant, bar, banqueting facilities and is the setting for a number of social and business functions.All in this perfect location overlooking the Yorkshire Wolds!This hasty sketch of the various compartments will give the reader a tolerable idea of the immense extent of the building; and the exterior, even in its present unfinished state (we learn it is to be plastered), is of great beauty, and has a far more noble appearance than any of the fine edifices in that locality. The remaining workhouse buildings were demolished in 2002 and a school erected on the site. In 1897, the Sculcoates Guardians erected a cottage homes development at Hessle.
Our guest bedrooms are comfortably furnished in keeping with the character of the building and are centrally heated with colour television, beverage making facilities and hair dryer. Tariffs are inclusive of breakfast and the attractive well stocked licensed bar includes a range of locally brewed bottled beers.